Teenager Alex Iwobi has broken into Arsenal's first XI this season

Teenager Alex Iwobi has broken into Arsenal's
first XI this season
Gunners starlet has snubbed England to
represent country of birth Nigeria
He has vowed to celebrate his next Premier
League goal with African dance
Arsenal starlet Alex Iwobi revealed he decided to
'follow my heart' by turning his back on England to
represent the country of his birth Nigeria -
following in the footsteps of his uncle Jay Jay
Okocha.
The 19-year-old, who has broken into the Gunners'
first XI this season, was born in Lagos but has lived
in London since he was an infant and played for
England at youth level.
However, Iwobi revealed that a conversation with
his father and uncle, the former Bolton midfielder,
convinced him to pledge his international allegiance
to the Super Eagles.
+6
Arsenal starlet Alex Iwobi has pledged his
international allegiance to the country of his
birth Nigeria
+6
Iwobi decided to choose the Super Eagles after a
talk with his father and uncle Jay Jay Okocha
(above)
Iwobi scores again...just don't know how to
express how I feel now..Well done Alex..
— Jay-Jay Okocha (@IAmOkocha) April 2, 2016
+6
Iwobi came on as s substitute to make his debut
for Nigeria in the 1-0 defeat by Egypt last month
Speaking to SunSport, Iwobi said: 'I understand
why some England fans are surprised with my
decision.
'It was a difficult one to make, one I thought very
carefully about. I have no regrets.
'I have always been part of the England youth set-
up and have 11 caps at Under-16, Under-17 and
Under-18 levels.
MORE...
West Ham vs Arsenal guide: What time is kick-
off, what TV channel is it on and team news...
here's all you need to know
West Ham won the lottery with Olympic
Stadium move, quips Arsene Wenger
Arsenal star Mesut Ozil insists he will stay to
'realise his dreams' with Arsene Wenger's side
and hasn't given up on the title yet
Jack Wilshere was once courted by Pep
Guardiola, but how can the Arsenal star stop
his career going to pot?
'But when I was first invited by the Nigeria FA, my
dad told me to follow my heart and that is what I
have done.'
The youngster made his international debut for
Nigeria against Egypt last month.
The 19-year-old scores against Watford for his
second Premier League goal in as many games.

Iwobi, who scored his first Premier League goals
against Everton and Watford before signing a new
contract at the Emirates until 2021, is expected to
play against West Ham on Saturday as Arsenal bid
to keep their faint title hopes alive.
Should he find the back of the net again, Iwobi has
promised to celebrate with an African dance.
He said: 'Scoring my first against Everton was
fantastic — it was amazing hearing the Arsenal fans
chanting my name. I am planning to do an African
dance for my next goal.
'I love African music. I have loads of African songs
and I will leave the fans to judge when I perform
my first one.'

Comments